POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Sabotage and destruction of the Lincoln : Re: The Sabotage and destruction of the Lincoln Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Sabotage and destruction of the Lincoln
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 31 Jan 2001 11:53:46
Message: <3A7843F5.117002A4@mail.com>
Looks pretty excellent!  I really love your sense of design.  I just
checked out your website and was reminded of all the cool stuff I've
seen coming from your direction.

	-- I loved the planetary rings

	-- I loved the emense sense of scale that slight
	   curvature of the planet and the rings bring out

	-- *I* like the explosion, but it might work just as well
	   if it were a bit more transparent.

	But, of course, I do have a few gripes.

	-- This space scene should probably be a little more stark.
	   I mean, the shadows should look almost pitch black, cause
	   almost all the light from the scene is coming from the
	   star with just a little fill coming from the planet and
	   the rings.  This is most noticeable in the giant asteroid
	   in the bottom of the frame.

	-- I think the gas giant could be made much cooler by using
	   layered textures (one cloud color per layer) or by
	   actually making several layers of spheres with different
	   colored clouds on them so that they could cast shadows
	   on each other.

	-- Finally, (whew!) I think the asteroid shape looks a little
	   funny.  It would probably benefit a lot by adding craters
	   of some kind.  If fact, maybe the majority of the shape
	   should be like a potato that someone has attacked with
	  a melon baller!!

Wow! That's a lot of stuff.  But really, keep up the great work, and I'm
sure I'll see your name in lights someday.

	-Ben <><