POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Phil Clute
Date: 30 Jan 2001 02:35:26
Message: <3A766F0D.FA984383@tiac.net>
> That's not why CDs are said to suck.  The impossibly gifted people who
> claim vinyl sounds better are claiming that the linear scale used to
> digitize the music is a poor match for the logarithmic scale our ears
> actually hear on.  This has nothing to do with roundoff error.

Well actually the problem has to do with the repeated processing
of a digital audio signal. The more effects ie. reverb, flange
etc. the more the rounding error adds up and becomes a kind of
distortion which IS audible. But your not going to hear the differnce
on your home stereo so much, however if you have a pro studio and
a set of nice reference monitors there is a difference.

Another thing you would notice is the lack of bottom end from the
vinyl. Bass frequencies are often rolled off in mastering because
it can cause the needle to jump right out of the groove. I used to
tape pennies above the needle to add some extra weight on for this
reason.

--
Phil
...coffee?...yes please! extra sugar,extra cream...Thank you.