POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : metally fractal, 105 KB JPG - sbk2001.JPG (0/1) : Re: metally fractal, 105 KB JPG - sbk2001.JPG (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: metally fractal, 105 KB JPG - sbk2001.JPG (1/1)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 30 Jan 2001 00:15:49
Message: <3A764DF5.7E6611BB@faricy.net>
moonshadow wrote:

> >SWEET!!!!
>
> Thanks :) I'm still not sure this is a totally original idea though.
> That's why I posted, I'm sure someone has come up with the same idea.

[snip]
Sorry, here I must vehemently protest.

Alright, even if it was completely original, a lot of the beauty came
simply from math. Yes, I'm a believer in all that mathematical crap with
Benoit Mandlebrot and whatnot. But still you deserve credit for either
tweaking it or stumbling across it.
The thing is, in today's world, with 6 (or is it 7 now?) billion people
and 5000 years of recorded history, almost always someone else did it
before you. Especially in the last decade we now have the technology to
immediately tell the world we did it first. Does that mean you deserve
less credit because you did it second? Hardly. That's just chronolgical
bias. Now if it was some sort of major discovery that impacted the world,
like electricity, maybe the first person gets some "extra credit". But in
art it becomes more questionable.