POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: David Fontaine
Date: 29 Jan 2001 23:53:01
Message: <3A76489F.CBB4A5CF@faricy.net>
As there is no OT I will try to make this a short lived thread.

Ron Parker wrote:

> What, that old canard again?
>
> That's not why CDs are said to suck.  The impossibly gifted people who
> claim vinyl sounds better are claiming that the linear scale used to
> digitize the music is a poor match for the logarithmic scale our ears
> actually hear on.  This has nothing to do with roundoff error.

Aside from that, any mathematician will tell you the sample rate is
insufficient. The highest frequency a person can hear is around 20kHz. The
sample rate of a CD is 44kHz. It should be at least double that, 5x the
highest frequency. Think about it, you could be sampling near the zero
point every time.

And records sound better <g> ;)

Now if they could just make records that last a decent number of
playings...

> Followups to povray.off-topic. :)

;)