POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:18:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 29 Jan 2001 21:04:43
Message: <3A762152.B717BDA1@hotmail.com>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> No problem with the english, but remember that Povray is not only used on
> x86 machines, but also on Mac, Amiga, Sparc, Alpha, ... just to mention
> some.  It's a main goal of the Pov-Team to maintain usability for
> different platforms which right now is supported through portable c code.
> So even if 3D!Now & co were supported by all PC C-Compilers (most
> important gcc) this would not be enough.

No problem with Macs... I would _love_ to see a Velocity Engine (on the G4)
version of POV-Ray, which is not possible without using single precision.  In
terms of the Sparc or Alpha, well, ... maybe keep the official source the way it
is, and put these fun new speedups in the platform-specific versions.

...Chambers