POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : PovRay faster : Re: PovRay faster Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay faster
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Jan 2001 14:21:30
Message: <3A75C2B9.FC4D5344@gmx.de>
Daniel Jungmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to make PovRay faster ( and did it also, see 3D!Now ) and I
> read the discussion about PovRay and OpenGL. So I thought about the
> possibility to make PovRay with different methods of rendering. One would be
> the normal, using double precision, precise & slow, the other would be the
> fast, using single precision, not so precise but fast. Beause of that reason
> I would like to make all necessary C files. They would contain all vector,
> matricies and color calculations ( crosproduct, scale, add, sub, div, mul,
> invers, linearcombination, square root, sin, cos, tan, exp, spuare etc.; all
> of the function/macros which are in colour.c/h, matricies.c/h and vector.c/h
> + some additional functions/macros). But first I want to talk with the
> PovRay team so this could be in the official PovRay. So how can I contact
> them?

The first thing would probably to contact the TAG about that, they can
forward your suggestions.  Anyway, it probably will not be included in
Povray 3.5 so it could be a better idea to incorporate it into a version
of megapov based on 3.5.

Concerning the idea itself, as someone already mentioned, single precision
is not much faster than double (although memory use is lower of course)
and therefore it would be only much difference if it used new features
like 3D!Now which would be problematic for portability reasons.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>