POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shelf Scene : Re: Shelf Scene Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:19:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shelf Scene
From: Josh English
Date: 29 Jan 2001 08:03:57
Message: <3A756A3B.A303506F@spiritone.com>
Marc-Hendrik Bremer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Nice concept, although there is still a lot of work to do.

Yeah, this is only part of a larger scene I plan on doing. My mother always told
me that I could make a mess of a monks cell, so I have to add a couple of old
coffee cups, a sock or two, several books of various sizes, stacks of paper..
the list goes on...

> For the flame I used once the following code and it worked quite well (even
> if the shape and mapping itself is quite simple):
> #declare Flamme =
> difference{
>  sphere{0, 0.5}
>  sphere{<0, -0.3, 0>, 0.35}
>  hollow
>  pigment{ rgbt 1}
>  interior{ media{ emission rgbf <3*2, 1.85*2, 0.1*2, 0.2>
>     density{ cylindrical color_map{
>        [0.3 rgb <1,1,0.5>]
>        [1 rgb <0.2, 0.2, 4>]}
>        turbulence 0.15}
>        }
>            media{ absorption rgbf (1-<3, 1.85, 0.1, 0.2>)
>     density{ cylindrical color_map{
>        [0.3 rgb <1,1,0.5>]
>        [1 rgb <0.2, 0.2, 4>]}
>        turbulence 0.15}
>        }
>     }
>  scale<.7, 2.5, .7>
>  scale 2
>  }

I'll give it a try.. thanks.

> You have to use two different media-statements to get the absorption right
> and the high intensity of the media is important too IIRC, but I don't know
> that for sure.
> I think, the light_source in the candle has not the right colour and
> intensity. And as you use Megapov  already apply "orient" to it (if you
> don't have it already). Perhaps that will reduce the visible banding in the
> cross' shadow. If you use a larger area for the area_light, you could let
> the banding work for you since a candle flame is almost never at the same
> position. Perhaps it'll look like same motion in it.
>
> I would try to scale down the wood_pigment, the way it is now it looks like
> everything is quite small. In addition, reduce the depth of the carvings in
> the shelf itself.

I'll have to learn more about ISO wood or not use it, I guess. It makes a nice
wood, but I'm not sure I'll need to use it for this scene, which is kind of a
shame.

> Are those straight lines on the wall meant to be mortar? I hope that's not
> the case but they are part of a bigger structure :-).
> I would give the cross something to hold it upright. That tiny rounded piece
> of wood seems not to be enough. Or is there an invisible support behind the
> cross?

The cross is supposed to be leaning against the wall. I had kind of hoped the
shadows would illustrate this more. Perhaps if I move a light a little it will
become more obvious

> I like your wall's structure. Is it just an Iso with a granite pigment
> function scaled down or something else?

It's two planes. One is rgb 1 with a grantie normal, and the other is a crackle
pattern with the texture and some transparency to show the mortar. I am hoping
to get rid of the straigt lines and wrinkled lines in it.

> I'm looking forward for the rest of your scene. The mood is already quite
> nice.

Thanks.

--
Josh English -- Lexiphanic Lethomaniac