POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ghost Train and photo of viaduct : Re: Ghost Train and photo of viaduct Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ghost Train and photo of viaduct
From: David Fontaine
Date: 21 Jan 2001 19:50:39
Message: <3A6B8287.93B6B2A6@faricy.net>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> I like it, but it really needs at least this size to look good.  The final
> scene will probably render quite slow.

Yeah... still don't have that Athlon yet either...

> IMO rough rust is quite unnecessary in this case.  either paint it or make
> it just dark brown with some variations and a granite or small bumps
> normal.

Yes, but at any rate the texture is hard to get detailed enough. Maybe just a
grainy normal like a matte finish paint. That crayon orange is hard to match
too.

> I would use a heightfield, because an isosurface is probably slower and
> more difficult to adapt to the bridge.  You might consider using 2
> different heightfields for both sides of the bridge.

Yep, but I'm gonna need precise control over the height at certain points.
Ugh, time to dig out HF-Gen or whatever it was I wasn't very good at using.

> Trees would be interesting too, but i would keep them far away from the
> camera so you can do them with simple image maps.

I was thinking just spheres with transparent leaf textures or something over
some very simple branches.