POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ghost Train and photo of viaduct : Re: Ghost Train and photo of viaduct Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ghost Train and photo of viaduct
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Jan 2001 05:20:42
Message: <3A6AB7FA.650E7559@gmx.de>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Originally rendered at 5000x2000 aa0.3, took 12h 48m 59s and 76,767,231
> bytes.
>
> Once again I forgot to add the horns on top of the locomotive (the
> actual one is missing them too). And the "random" function seems to have
> made fairly un-random results yet again.

I like it, but it really needs at least this size to look good.  The final
scene will probably render quite slow.

> I'm going to have a lot of work left on the bridge and landscape. I have
> the bridge pretty much done, but it hardly has a detail level anywhere
> near the train itself. I think I'll have the camera at one of the ends
> over a pylon, it's much easier to make realistic concrete than steel. I
> tried a turbulent bozo texture to make rusty spots but it doesn't look
> quite right. And I can use roundprism().

IMO rough rust is quite unnecessary in this case.  either paint it or make
it just dark brown with some variations and a granite or small bumps
normal.

> [...]
>
> Any tips on making the landscape?

I would use a heightfield, because an isosurface is probably slower and
more difficult to adapt to the bridge.  You might consider using 2
different heightfields for both sides of the bridge.

Trees would be interesting too, but i would keep them far away from the
camera so you can do them with simple image maps.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>