POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : double/single precision : Re: double/single precision Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: double/single precision
From: Francois Dispot
Date: 19 Jan 2001 14:04:49
Message: <3A688FCF.E8C3A929@club-internet.fr>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Daniel Jungmann wrote:
> >
> > Why does Povray use double precision? Why not single precision?
>
> Because it's more accurate.  There are quite a lot of situations where
> single precision would not suffice.

It is a part of what was done with "povpro". The result was that, while
"plain" renders were somewhat faster in some cases (but not because of
single precision), the stronger the AA settings were, the slower povpro
was compared with raw povray. In many cases I had longer times because
the poor precision added noise the AA algorithm had to correct.

Moreover, using single precision needs many implicit casts to be
performed.
The only advantage would be memory consumption.
--