POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Radiosity: 10.2.3. distance_maximum is automatically computed : Re: Radiosity: 10.2.3. distance_maximum is automatically computed Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: 10.2.3. distance_maximum is automatically computed
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Jan 2001 07:59:06
Message: <3A6839ED.DD1351B@inapg.inra.fr>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> My first tweaks at coding suggest that there's not much "interior light"
> making it to the next building.    Any ways around this? Is it possible
> that the change above 10.2.3 made some rooms better but limited
> applicability of radiosity to certain scenarios?

This is not so strange. For radiosity to work well, it's better to have
large areas of bright surfaces. In night scenes, where the amount of
available light is limited, radiosity effects may not be very noticeable.
I've tried several dark scenes where radiosity didn't make any difference
and where secondary or fill lights gave much prettier results. Of course it
can make a big difference if the scene shows what's inside the building, or
if you have a colored sky_sphere, or if you have direct outdoor lights, or
if you have a very bright building etc. You can try increasing the radiosity
brightness too.

About your 80 lights, just turn off the light buffers with -UL on the
command line. The rendering time will be slightly higher, but you won't run
into memory problems.

> SECOND QUESTION:  is it true that point light sources will not interact
> with media:  only spotlights will do so?

No. It's just that spotlights render faster because (if I have understood
well) the calculations are limited to the beam. Your wiffle ball should work
OK with a pointlight. Using several spotlights could perhaps make it faster,
but that remains to be tested.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com