POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gravity-driven model of the solar system (73kbbu) : Re: Gravity-driven model of the solar system (73kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gravity-driven model of the solar system (73kbbu)
From: Ben Birdsey
Date: 17 Jan 2001 15:25:40
Message: <3A660077.BB48AB36@mail.com>
Are you certain that your model is conserving energy?  I have worked
with many finite-difference models in the past, and from my experience
it is very possible and even probable that you are not conserving
energy.

	I don't know what scheme you are using to determine the orbits, but you
might want to consider using a different one.  Two of the simpler ones
are called

	- the velocity Verlet algorithm
	- the 4th order Runge-Kutta algorithm

Besides this, I'm sure that there are a variety of special algorithms
for planetary motion.

	Good luck.

	In Him,
	Ben