POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born : Re: Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 17 Jan 2001 10:52:44
Message: <3A65D143.6762CD60@free.fr>
> mesh
> { (optionally triangles and smooth triangles)
>   tesselate { MyObject1 }
>   tesselate { MyObject2 }
> }

	My question will sound weird, but...
	Can you tesselate a mesh object ?

	The use would be to change the number of triangles in the
initial mesh, for instance to get a 'preview' mesh that would have
10 times less triangles - a little faster to render, but much faster
to parse especially when creating the bounding box tree.
	For me it would be quite interesting. In my patch I'm using
a simple (and crude) vertex decimation method to quickly simplify
mesh objects (from binary files, so it's different from the normal
parsing) for previewing purpose. The resulting mesh looks like a
building of cubic blocks rather than a smooth thing. See some
examples on this page:

http://pov4grasp.free.fr/features/grasp_surface/preview.php3

	If your code works for mesh objects, and is really fast,
then I've two reasons more to support you for releasing your patch
pretty soon so that someone can fix the bug you mention (I'm not
this superguy I suspect) !

*** Nicolas Calimet
*** http://pov4grasp.free.fr