POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born : Re: Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Seems that the tesselation patch died before even being born
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 16 Jan 2001 12:10:02
Message: <3A648119.70823724@aetec.ee>
Warp wrote:

>   I can't find the bug. No-one else can either (I have consulted with Ron,
> Nathan and Chris H).
>   There's a persistent bug (I wrote about it some time ago) and I just can't
> find what's wrong with the code. I don't think that it's typing mistake
> or anything, but I have the feeling that some povray functions might work
> a bit differently than I expect and that's what's causing the problem.
> Finding the problem would require more knowledge about povray and/or a lot
> of testing.
>   The patch would be more or less ready if there wasn't that bug.
>
>   So I'm sorry. I can't make it.

Oh, man, don't quit like this! This tesselation is quite promising (I
think about implementing displacement shaders in POV-Ray and tesselation
of POV-Ray primitives will become handy in this case, as it is
relatively easy to displace meshes).

Is this bug related to the translation of primitive (i.e. is this
described in message
Subject:    Re: Tesselation and mesh data extraction patches
Date:       19 Dec 2000 04:14:55 -0500)?
Are the triangles teared off from others or are additional triangles
generated? Lighting in these pictures does not allow to see "under the
crack" and I can't make it out, which is the case.
Hmm, You make me really curious, can you make source available (or mail
me)? I feel challenge here...

Or alternatively:
You work in university? Here is tip: offer this bug hunting to some
student and promise to give assessment (is it right word?) or other
bonus, if he/she can find it. Next "Linus Torvalds" can spot it for
sure!