POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:12:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 16 Jan 2001 03:39:00
Message: <3A640955.A9981B76@aetec.ee>
David C wrote:

> I am wondering about adding an OpenGL preview for animations. I have three
> questions.
>
> - Would it be legal to distribute since OpenGL would be doing the
> rendering and povray would only be doing the parsing?
> - Is it being done already?
> - Is it somthing that the povray comunity would be interested in using?
> (besides me)
>
> I am thinking of just using it for very fast test renders, using quick
> colors instead of real textures and simple lights so you can see how the
> objects look and how the camera moves. You could then tweak it very
> finely for animations since the edit/render/view cycle would be shorter.

I haven't followed Moray development recently, but at some time it had
animation plugin, which allowed to see animations relatively easy from
Moray (but rendering was done with Polyray dll, IIRC). Moray is for
Windows only of course, so not much for multiplatform support, but if
one can stand modeller and uses Windows, then it might be solution.

Then, couple of years ago Johannes Hubert wrote basic POV-Ray animation
program in OpenGL for the IMP. He used POB  patch for handling POV-Ray
objects and displaying them. IIRC this program worked with primitives
only and was written in very short time so it didn't provided very much
functionality. Johannes is not seen recently and AFAIK he didn't
released source code for this program. Additionally, POB patch was for
older version of POV-Ray and AFAIK it is not updated for recent
version(s).

So, seems like you are on your own. RT animation would be nice, but I'm
not sure, that POV-Ray is the best program for doing this...