POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Nested polyhedron : Re: Nested polyhedron Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nested polyhedron
From: Anton Sherwood
Date: 15 Jan 2001 01:30:54
Message: <3A629B26.3DC70778@pobox.com>
ian mcdonald wrote:
> How in the world do you calculate where to put each object?
> I've never been able to do that, as I don't know how.

Start with the cube.
If you draw the diagonals on each face of the cube, you get the edges of
two tetrahedra.  (Pick one!)
If you join the midpoints of the edges of each face of the tetrahedron,
you get the edges of an octahedron.
If you divide the edges of the octahedron in the golden ratio (in a
consistent way), you get the vertices of an icosahedron.

The outer dodecahedron is less easy.  You can think of it as building a
hipped roof on each face of the cube.  If the cube's vertices are

or alternately

where tau = (1+sqrt(5))/2, the golden ratio.

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0### [at] p0b0xcom  --  http://ogre.nu/