POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to the center of stellation #17 of the icosahedron (seriously though, look at it) : Re: Journey to the center of stellation #17 of the icosahedron (seriously though, look at it) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:26:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to the center of stellation #17 of the icosahedron (seriously though, look at it)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 11 Jan 2001 19:24:14
Message: <3A5E4D8A.29772C0E@faricy.net>
Josh English wrote:

> Wow. Now this is a departure from what we've seen lately. I really like this.

Thanks.

> I hope you explore the technique a little. Different shapes and different
> color selection methods can offer a lot of variety here. (as well as a
> cylindrical or wide_angle camera setting)

Agreed, this is a fun technique to explore, the patterns are endless. Usually
when I post something like this, you can guess I've already played with it a bit
and made some selections. Juxtapositioning of colors is very important IMO. I've
tried other stellations but so far none come close to this one aesthetically. I
am kind of a believer in that "let the math do the art and it will look cool"
stuff.

They can be slow renders though, when you turn up max_trace and especially when
you start using multiple colored lights instead of a white light and colored
object.

This is wide_angle BTW. Fisheye 360 would be neat because then you can tell
you're fully enclosed.

This is an old method, I did it in the dodecahedral colored mirrors and the torus
with the colored lights inside, and I guess the objets d'art were a pretty
similar technique.