POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Coding help: efficient for hand-made recursive noise3d : Coding help: efficient for hand-made recursive noise3d Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Coding help: efficient for hand-made recursive noise3d
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 10 Jan 2001 09:11:24
Message: <3A5C6C37.46DC6245@my-dejanews.com>
I'm trying to code a recursive noise3d function. It is essentially:

SUM { 1/n * noise3d(x*(n^j), y*(n^j), z*(n^j)) }
    where    n =constant (about 2.0 to 3.0)
    and        j goes from 1 to some big number >>10.

So far, I'm doing this OK by hand typing w/ copying and pasting.

Q's:
1. Any way to code this? So far, I'm running into hurdles with:
    "parser is bored," and  povray not liking #dec's in the middle of a
function declaration.

2. FEATURE REQUEST:
This is what I hoped the heteromf actually was (It ain't, and "not that
there's anything wrong with that," to quote Kramer.)  If something like
this were coded into a patch, would there be worthwhile efficiencies
over say my hand-typed func decl?

3. Does something in math exist that's already like this?

Thanks.