POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Katy serves the Southwest (101k) : Re: The Katy serves the Southwest (101k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 06:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Katy serves the Southwest (101k)
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 6 Jan 2001 11:00:16
Message: <3A57404C.201EDE4@onwijs.com>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Here it is, in p.b.i, after getting lost in p.u.p for a few seconds...!
> My first car. M-K-T Missouri-Kansas-Texas line "The Katy serves the
> Southwest". And by chance same region as the Kansas City Southern
> locomotive so my train'll look somewhat intelligent. :)
>
> Ignore that the car is hovering over the reflective plane... ;)
>
> This was nothing compared to the locomotive! Obviously lots and lots of
> loops to place rivets etc. Hmm, now I can make a boring train with one
> car tiled to the horizon. I could just create new image_maps and have a
> two boxcar train, but my non-functioning scanner means eyeballing
> everything by hand on top of a plan render again. At least my Santa Fe
> car doesn't have any script on it, so no more b-spline polygons with 80
> points...
>
> There is a minor texture alignment problem. You wouldn't be able to tell
> except where it says "BLT 1-92 LIONEL" by the door, that should be
> entirely within the recessed portion. The other half lines up and is
> basically the same image, but it turns out that to rotate one side to
> match the other side the axis is not right in the middle, it's at 0.3*x
> (out of a car length of 24 units). Gets hard for me to keep 2996 lines
> of code organized.

Seems real to me.
I would like to add some more comments but I don't know the right expressions
for the parts so I'll just say that I noticed the bit with the wheels and like
the springs in them.

> Anyone care to make me a track landscape? j/k ;)

Actually, that would seem fun.

I didn't play with trains a lot, but I did (do) like all the computergames with
trains in them.

Remco