POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : CMPEG question... : Re: CMPEG question... Server Time
16 May 2024 10:08:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CMPEG question...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 4 Jan 2001 02:04:23
Message: <3A543545.1E5165E9@erols.com>
> I meant 640x480 not 540.  Anyway, anyone with some help?

I render at 320x240 (or whatever my final animation size will be).

I also render for 24 frames per second (-f2).

The d and m options I usually leave at -d0 and -m0 (the defaults),
especially for test renders.  For my current entry I used -d1 and -m1,
which vastly increased the time it took to compose the MPG, but
reduced the file size by 10%.

For the compression specs, I usually use the ipb.ctl file, although
I have tweaked it slightly.  The forward and backward vectors for P
and B frames are set to one in the original; I set them to two or
three.  The default also has quality settings of 4 for the I and P
frames, and 8 for the B frames; I usally pare this down to 3 and 6,
for improved quality.

CMPEG's algorithm could stand a lot of improvement, and as it's
written to run on a 286, updating it to use 486 instructions would
probably yield a significant speed boost as well.

Regards,
John