POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clouds (~14kau) : Re: Even Better Clouds? (~16kau) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:13:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Even Better Clouds? (~16kau)
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 30 Dec 2000 14:57:55
Message: <3A4E3E1A.F1B80338@skynet.be>
Some days ago, I was watching the sky, and thinking of the huge amount
of cloud images posted here, I said to myself : "If I took a photograph
of it, and posted it on pbi, pretending it's made with POV-Ray, would
they say that it looks realistic ?"... and the more I think of it,
the more it seems that the answer will be "no" is most cases.
The sky looks so often unrealistic !  So, I think there's a huge
difference between what people "idealizes" to be a realistic sky,
and the sheer reality of skieS...

So, to some exent, your clouds (as many others I've seen here
in the past months) *might* actually be realistic !  Just one of the
millions of millions possible skies...

A good support of this thinking is Dave Merchant's "delight" image,
in the "sea" IRTC.

That said, this "quest" for good-looking POV-Ray skies is exciting,
as it shows how you can have a thousand approaches to the same problem,
and how we evolved since the days of the old "sky" texture (you know,
the ugly one that can be seen on "skyvase").

Fabien.