POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clouds (~14kau) : Re: Better Clouds (~42kau) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Better Clouds (~42kau)
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 28 Dec 2000 11:46:38
Message: <3A4B6F03.87D4F371@aetec.ee>
"Tony[B]" wrote:

> OK, at least I've acheived something.

That's for sure! I've yet to achieve such results...

> > Light source seems to be quite close to clouds, as shadows seem to be
> > too big for given clouds. Or are there clouds, which are not visible?
>
> The clouds are contained in 2 individual boxes. The first one goes
> rom  -<1000000,0,1000000> to <1000000,3000,1000000>, and is 4500 units above
> the ground plane. The second one goes from -<1000000,0,1000000> to
> <1000000,2000,1000000>, and is 15000 units above the ground plane. The
> light_source is at y*10000000, and the camera is at <10000,400,-30000>. I
> moved it up that high in order to see if the shadows were showing up,
> something which when closer to the plane is hard to confirm. What do you
> suggest?

Actually these shadows seem to be too dark, but this is probably result
from one light source. Adding other light source or using radiosity
(hmm, maybe not, considering current rendering time) could improve this.
And now when I think about it, it seems to me, like this scene setup
(camera in such high position) makes it somewhat unrealistic. If camera
is set in "normal" height, then this scene could look more realistic, I
guess. Or perhaps downscaling of clouds will help?
For displaying shadows one can use heightfield and place camera on top
of hill, I guess. Too bad, that rendering time is so big, as it does not
allow to experiment very much...

HTH,
Vahur