POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Spiral christmas tree and a question (68k) : Re: Spiral christmas tree and a question (68k) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 17:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spiral christmas tree and a question (68k)
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 24 Dec 1999 01:04:53
Message: <3A459200.1014D418@tapestry.tucson.az.us>
David Fontaine wrote:

> Okay, I have this tree here, but, I want to make a scene like Bob's with
> the lights on on the tree... With only about 10% of them on and no
> radiosity it goes about 10pps or so... What's the best way to speed it
> up and get the desired effect?

I'm not sure if this would work, but it's worth a shot.  Put light fading on
the lights so that they only create a noticeable illumination difference
within a reasonably small radius from them.  You could then bound each of the
lights by a sphere large enough so that anything outside of it won't be
noticeably affected by the light.  That way you avoid lots of unnecessary
calculations.