POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Material{} in mesh2 ? : Re: Material{} in mesh2 ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Material{} in mesh2 ?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 21 Dec 2000 04:34:10
Message: <3A41CEFA.D396F67E@inapg.inra.fr>
Chris Huff wrote:

> I looked at the source, and it doesn't seem to do anything
> unusual...does it work if the material statement is the last thing in
> the mesh other than transforms?
> Or are you talking about a material per triangle? If so, are you sure
> that works with the ordinary mesh?

In mesh2, the textures are listed within the mesh definition :
 texture_list {
  2,
  texture { T_1}
  texture { T_2}
 }
It doesn't accept material{} instead of texture{}.
In a regular mesh statement, you can use material{} and it does work
properly (media makes nice ghostly Poser figures).
In fact, I came upon this while trying to uv-map a bottle mesh, as I needed
an ior. For the time being, the workaround is to put the ior in the finish
statement.
However the problem is more complex than I thought, because uv-mapping media
or ior doesn't make sense. I still have to test what happens in a
multi-textured mesh2 with several ior values...
G.