POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Material{} in mesh2 ? : Re: Material{} in mesh2 ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Material{} in mesh2 ?
From: Disnel
Date: 20 Dec 2000 17:46:18
Message: <3A414658.13FB997D@hlavacek-partner.cz>
What?
> Were you saying that it doesn't make sense to let each triangle in a
> mesh have it's own interior statement, because they are parts of a
> single object?
> Hmm, this could be seen both ways:
> 1: If it lets you specify a texture for a specific portion of the
> surface, it should let you specify a whole material for that portion.

If we have blinn highlitgs, then I need to specify different interiors
for different faces ...

> 2: Individual triangles are parts of one object with one interior, so
> materials don't make sense for individual triangles.

... but individual triangles ARE parts of one object and we don't have
variable ior in POV-Ray (and if we have, then it should be specified in
another way than different iors for all faces, because it is propetry of
interior of solid and not its surface), so its useless to specify
different interiors for different faces. In this case, ior for blinn
highlights should be a finish property instead of interior property.