POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Steam loco is my hobby : Re: Steam loco is my hobby Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Steam loco is my hobby
From: David Fontaine
Date: 19 Dec 2000 00:27:49
Message: <3A3EF0F4.DFD8DC@faricy.net>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> dont know about anyone else, but i always found the linkages on steam trains
> facinating - the more comples the better :) - very nice anim!!

I pity the fool who don't like steam engines!

We have a realllly old Lionel one, very heavy, only a 0-2-0, runs like crap now
(full power it accelerates pretty slow and goes tops ~8 ft/s, makes a grating
sound), but it has a really cool linkage, missing on one side tho :(

Bar from first wheel to second wheel, second bar from second wheel to large
piston, third bar from second wheel (offset a few degrees from the second bar)
to a small lever which doubles the motion from small piston.

It's a 4-stroke locomotive; the offset from the second bar to the third bar on
the wheel is 90 degrees and the phase offset from the big piston to the little
piston is one fourth of the period. Goes big (lower) piston, upper piston,
opposite lower piston, opposite upper piston.

Would be sweet if it ran decent and could pull any cars, and if it didn't tip
over on every curve.