POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : media fire : Re: media fire Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media fire
From: Jérôme M  Berger
Date: 18 Dec 2000 05:15:19
Message: <3A3DE3B6.97CB9F8@enst.fr>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Pretty much the only advantage is that it is shorter...but it seems lik
> something that would fit in well as a built-in feature. However, I woul
> probably have done it as an optional feature of emission media instead
> of a completely new type...

	Well, it is an optional feature of emission media. I added two optional
keywords: emission_method and emission extinction that have meaning only
in the case of emission media. Specifying emission_method 1 is the same
as standard pov. I would have preferred a syntax similar to scattering
(emission { type, color, extinction }) but I haven't taken the time to
find out how to do this while staying compatible with the current
syntax.

To Rune:
	Of course there are ways to do something similar in straight pov and
you'll get more flexibility that way. But it is impossible to get
exactly the same effect and you need a lot more code to get results
especially if you've got a complex media (remember TonyB's mediagames
last spring?)

--

* Abandon the search for truth, * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* Settle for a good fantasy.    * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger