POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First preview of tesselation patch : Re: First preview of tesselation patch Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First preview of tesselation patch
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 13 Dec 2000 11:43:48
Message: <3A37A7C9.E7CF0F88@aetec.ee>
Warp wrote:

>   I have been working on a tesselation patch for POV-Ray. My intention is also
> to make a mesh data extraction patch (else the tesselation patch would be
> pretty useless).

Interesting. When this patch is available, then it would be nice to
implement displacement mapping for meshes, as tesselation is already
present: then one can displace any object's surface easily...Although
for getting good displacement tesselation should be quite fine, so
memory consumption should be considered. Are You planning to implement
some caching scheme for meshes?
There are some artifacts with tesselated object ('body' and 'arm' are
connected), would it be easy to avoid this? Or does bigger accuracy
helps in this case?
Will cracks be problem with this tesselation?

> The second object is an accuracy value. Must be a positive integer value.
Accuracy is probably not best termin for it, as for me accuracy
associates rather with small decimal value. something like
division_count would be better.