POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Another guideline question : Re: Another guideline question Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another guideline question
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 12 Dec 2000 23:36:29
Message: <3A36FCCB.60351F3B@ij.net>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> Matt Giwer wrote in message <3A330F72.D4A53D34@ij.net>...
> >Rune wrote:
> >>
> >> Which format and codec should I use if I want a reasonable good
> >> compression/quality and I want as many as possible to be able to see my
> >> animations, just like that, without having to download a new codec?
> >
> > From some modest experimentation NOT EXHAUSTIVE I find MPEG-1 to be
> >about the size of the sum of the jpeg versions of the frames regardless
> >of the format created. I tested that by creating mpegs with the original
> >and the jpeg converted format. While not exhaustive that should address
> >the compression issue. I can not find any option in mpeg-1 to control
> >the compression but I make no claim to expertise in it.

> From my rather exhaustive experiments, I have found that you can get a very
> wide range of sizes for your output file.  I've gotten compression ranges
> between 20:1 and 500:1 with different settings for the same animation.
> Quality is in direct proportion to the compression ratio.

> I recommend using the Berkley MPEG encoder.  It takes a bit of work to use,
> but gives you the most control over the output.

	To take it one step further, jpeg compression varies by the variations
in the scene. If you do an animation with one little thing moving around
you get great compression. The more of the scene that is changing from
frame to frame the compression is much less.

	It is clearly not a one dimensional problem.

--
The difference between chads and chaos is od.

--
If it is digital it is mine.
If it is on magnetic media it is mine.