POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sunrise WIP (77K) : Re: Sunrise WIP (77K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunrise WIP (77K)
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 12 Dec 2000 18:43:36
Message: <3A36B8B6.C96A8F4@peak.edu.ee>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Looks good but i somehow wonder about the 'red line' above the sun.  Maybe
> some change in the color_map would be good.
>
> I think it would also look better, if color changes more towards the left
> and right. (it's mainly a vertical gradient right now)

This might actually be quite difficult...
You see, there is no colour_map. All the colours are created by a cyan-tinted
scattering media; this media will appear red near the horizon because of greater
thickness and thus greater absorption of cyan/blue light.
Actually there are two scattering medias, one has Raleigh scattering to simulate
air, and the other has Mies scattering to simulate air moisture at lower
altitudes. The latter is also what creates the "red line" or halo around the
sun. There is also a third, absorbing/emitting media to simulate a low-lying
ground fog.
As you can see the whole thing is quite complex, and I've found that even minor
tweaks tend to have a big effect that is rather difficult to control :(
I will work on it some more, though, and probably add some clouds to mask the
regular gradient at the horizon.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee