POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 12 Dec 2000 17:43:25
Message: <3A36A975.37C2B7F@videotron.ca>
Richard Dault wrote:

> >     Well, considering the comments in some of my programming classes many
> > people want to learn C++ so that "I can write programs for Windows"
>
> It's a shame that people associate languages with OSes.  C++ is available on
> almost all OSes.

And you can use other languages to develop Windows apps as well.

> > looking
> > at the programming shelves of book stores, while there are more books for
> > using linux than there used to be, most of the programming books are
> > programming for Windows.
>
> That's because people programming in Windows need more help.  :)
> Just kidding... It's because of all the extra APIs that Windows introduces
> that are non-standard or proprietary including multimedia APIs, registry,

hmmm... curses, ncurses, tkl, gkl, qt, Athena Widgets, Motif widgets...
you can't say that Microsoft is the only company (or organism) that
write their own classes..

> etc....  This is good and bad at the same time.  Good because developers
> don't have to re-invent the wheel everytime they start a new program.  Bad
> because it's proprietary and changes from release to release.
> If you want to learn C++ on another platform (say Mac, Unix, or whatever),
> you would look for a book on C++, not C++ for XXX.

If I wanted to learn C++, I'd buy a C++ book.  If I want to learn about
the Microsoft Foundation Classes, I'd buy a book about those.  The same
goes for X.

> > Most of the programs I have are for Windows only,
>
> Probably true.  Even Java programs written on Windows are for Windows only.
> ;)
>
> "Windows... Brought to you by the makers of EDLIN".

And your point is?

--
Francois Labreque | Rimmer: "Let's go to red alert!"
    flabreque     | Kryten: "Are you sure, Sir?  You realize it