POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:36:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 10 Dec 2000 12:55:38
Message: <3A33C310.5E61CCB@videotron.ca>
Warp wrote:

>   For example, if I want to make a small CGI program in my home page which,
> for example, handles guestbook entries (and creates a page to show all
> the entries to the world), that's quite easily done in Unix. You need about
> 10 lines of script code to do that.
>   However, trying to do the same in Windows is a lot harder. You'll probably
> to use some programming language (and of course Windows doesn't give you
> any compiler, what a surprise) and mostly external programs (not found in
> Windows itself).

While I mostly agree with you, there are two statements above that need
clarification:

First: shell scripting IS a programming language.

Second: Unix doesn't have built-in compilers either.  What you should
have said is that most Unix packages, usually come with a bundled C
compiler.  But not all of them do.  SCO, for example, doesn't unless you
buy the "advanced" package.

--
Francois Labreque | Rimmer: "Let's go to red alert!"
    flabreque     | Kryten: "Are you sure, Sir?  You realize it