POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Another guideline question : Re: Another guideline question Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another guideline question
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 10 Dec 2000 00:07:01
Message: <3A330F72.D4A53D34@ij.net>
Rune wrote:

> Which format and codec should I use if I want a reasonable good
> compression/quality and I want as many as possible to be able to see my
> animations, just like that, without having to download a new codec?

	From some modest experimentation NOT EXHAUSTIVE I find MPEG-1 to be
about the size of the sum of the jpeg versions of the frames regardless
of the format created. I tested that by creating mpegs with the original
and the jpeg converted format. While not exhaustive that should address
the compression issue. I can not find any option in mpeg-1 to control
the compression but I make no claim to expertise in it.

	As to quality my unconfirmed opinion is:

	The way mpeg-1 creates interpolated frames suffers horribly when there
are screen-wide slight changes. It pixelates them almost. I posted a
couple such results here but not the stills for comparison. S-U-C-K-S
compared to the stills.

	However where the image changes rather little I would rate the results
outstanding.

--
The only thing Israelies understand is violence.
	-- The Iron Webmaster, 335