POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 9 Dec 2000 23:50:38
Message: <3A330B9D.F062BD3B@ij.net>
Peter Popov wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:24:56 -0500, "Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom>
> wrote:
>
> >    Windows is the standard, evidenced by the way Mac tried for so long to
> >supplant it but then finally became Windows compatible, not to mention Linux
> >windowing systems...
>
> LOL!!!
>
> Every time I start to wonder why Windows is so widespread, I hear or
> read something like this from someone like you and I realise it...
> though I still do not understand it. Good marketting and
> advertismenent is one thing, but successfully fooling millions into
> believing myths calls for a marketting genius (which Gates seems to
> be). Or do you not know that it has always been Windows that has
> replicated ideas from the Mac GUI?

	The method used was as old as the Atari and Commodore competitors to
the Apple II. They paid (co-developed so it would not be so obvious) the
most popular software companies to port their products to Windows. Atari
paid Visicalc to port their spreadsheet to the 800. MS paid (by then)
Lotus to port to windows. There was also a deal with Word Perfect (which
had just eaten WordStar's lunch) to port to Windows.

	The only thing that is a modest secret is that Gate's parents are
filthy rich and got him over the early hurdles, off the ground and tons
of very experienced advice.

> As for those among you who don't know, there's no such thing as a
> Linux windowing system. There's no such thing as a Unix windowing
> system either, for those of you who still don't make the difference.
> It's the X windowing system and it is an entity as separate from the
> OS. And Windows has a long way to go before it reaches the standards
> of X in stability and device independence, not to mention remote
> terminal sessions.

	There a graphics app with hooks and handles for damn near anything to
be applied.

--
What you don't remember you can never forget.
	-- The Iron Webmaster, 62