POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:31:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 9 Dec 2000 19:45:43
Message: <3A32D249.D7FA89A5@hal-pc.org>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> "Jon S. Berndt" wrote:
> >
> > But, it really grates on
> > me to hear people exclaim how great Windows is. Whether it is true, or not, the
> > first thing that comes to mind when I hear someone say that is: "Here is someone
> > who has gotten his first computer and has studied pretty hard about how to use
> > Windows and be a "Power User" for a whole year <snicker> and now thinks they
> > understand the  entire industry."
> >

> How about someone who is (earning a living) writing software for an OS that can
> actually be used or even bought by a large group of users?

Prior to three months ago I had been with a company that sells data management
systems to large pipeline companies. We used C++Builder and Oracle to develop
the software. IIRC, the app we were writing was selling in the high five digit
range. It was a very large program with a long design and production phase. It
was written to run on Windows. It was a rewarding and challenging project to
work on. I already knew what Windows could do, but during those years I worked
on that project I also learned what it could not do. One of those things was
that every so often my machine had to be rebooted because it just could not
manage memory properly. My linux box runs for weeks at a time while I beat the
h@ll out of it.

When I hear someone give an unqualified and blanket statement about how great
Windows is the first statement that comes to mind is as I described above, but
prior to writing that I made a stipulation "Whether it is true or not" [that the
user is unqualified to make such a judgement]. I admit that I could be wrong,
and that it is somewhat prejudicial of myself to make such a statement, but it
comes from past experience that often I am correct in that assumption. It really
depends on the situation.

> To think something is "nice" or even "great" doesn't mean you're instantly blind
> to its shortcomings. Focussing on those shortcomings to prove another such
> things is better seems to be more a type of blindness.

True, but I am much more receptive to a subjective opinion when it is more
limited or more directed than simply saying "Windows is great. Windows is the
standard. Everyone tries to emulate Windows". I could readily agree with someone
if they said merely: using POV-Ray on Windows is fun, or that "you can find
software to do anything under Windows", or that "in general, plug and play under
Windows works fairly well".

Jon

Jon S. Berndt
League City, Texas