POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Skin shader test (2 x 35 kbu) : Re: Skin shader test (2 x 35 kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skin shader test (2 x 35 kbu)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 9 Dec 2000 13:09:10
Message: <3A327545.290E0EEF@gmx.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> At least I haven't been able to reproduce it with usual finish statements.
> As a long time Poser user, I had always found that skin textures was badly
> rendered in Povray (and in other renderers) : it's not a problem of
> highlight intensity. My tests tried to show off the "silver lining"
> characteristic of backlit or side-lit skin. Regular smaller highlights will
> just give you a shiny aspect.

I didn't mean to decrease roughness, but to decrease the specular
component.  I'm not sure whether this will help much, but i'm quite sure
that it can be at least slightly better.  I think i now understand what
you mean by "silver lining", it is probably really problematic with
conventional finish.

I never seriously tried megapov's 'blinn' highlights, but it's surely also
worth trying.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>