POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Skin shader test (2 x 35 kbu) : Re: Skin shader test (2 x 35 kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Skin shader test (2 x 35 kbu)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Dec 2000 12:08:33
Message: <3A32676E.76F37D4A@inapg.inra.fr>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Of course the shader version looks better, but i wonder whether it would
> be possible to tweak the finish settings of the regular version to come
> nearer to the first one. There does not seem to be much difference apart
> from the intensity of the highlights.

At least I haven't been able to reproduce it with usual finish statements.
As a long time Poser user, I had always found that skin textures was badly
rendered in Povray (and in other renderers) : it's not a problem of
highlight intensity. My tests tried to show off the "silver lining"
characteristic of backlit or side-lit skin. Regular smaller highlights will
just give you a shiny aspect.

The skin shader is "based on phenomenological information about skin
reflectance" (quoting the doc). It takes into account that real skin is made
of layers with different scattering properties. The shader considers that
skin is made of a top oily glossy layer and of a subsurface. Note that I
still have to go deeper into that to understand it...

G.