POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Orbiting Moon (.mpg 708Kb) : Re: Orbiting Moon (.mpg 708Kb) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Orbiting Moon (.mpg 708Kb)
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 8 Dec 2000 08:04:52
Message: <3A30EAD4.D76AE3CE@hal-pc.org>
Jetlag wrote:

> > btw, i hate to do this to you, but shouldn't there be stars?
>
> No.
>
> It's more realistic to not have stars while something like the earth or moon
> (or even a lit spacecraft) is in the camera's field of view.  The reason
> being how dim stars actually are.

In the pictures I have seen taken from space of either the earth or the moon I
cannot recall seeing many (or any) stars. I assumed they washed out in the
picture. However, I *do* remember hearing astronauts talk about seeing stars
while in space (of course they have to be able to see them for navigation if
they are forced to resort to that. It is an interesting question on what to put
into a ray-traced rendering. I wanted dimly visible starts in mine, but it
didn't end up working out very well.

Jon

Jon S. Berndt
League City, Texas