POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Highly OT Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:36:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highly OT Re: Guidelines
From: Markus Becker
Date: 8 Dec 2000 07:22:16
Message: <3A30D2F2.E11F55C8@aicoss.de>
Rob Verweij wrote:

> most of it's readers probably have a reasonable World Wide Web connection and so
> they have the abillity to download the latest and greatest of codecs or any
> other software/driver and I strongly suggest they do because if you wanna keep
> up with the rest it's best to have the latest technologies at your disposal and
> currently for online animations DivX;-) can't be beat. It has super quality at a

Yes, I have good connection to the internet (mostly at about 100 to 300
kBytes
per second), but I am not willing to install yet another codec on my
system.
MPEG is enough. Why install another one for 2% size decrease with 2%
better
quality?

> people to miss out on your latest and greatest animation then post them in
> several different formats. Especially in 3DCGI, people preffer quality and

Now that's nice: You want to save bandwidth with a "better" codec and
then
suggest to post it in several formats? Sheesh...

> that's what DivX;-) delivers: High quality at a great compression ratio. Have

That's what MPEG delivers, too.

> you ever tried to create a descent looking animation using the Cinepak codec?

Noone talked of cinepak.

Markus