POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : More on hair : Re: More on hair Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:18:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More on hair
From: Paul Blaszczyk
Date: 8 Dec 2000 01:18:16
Message: <3A307DB1.2ACDE33D@alpharay.de>
Hi,

"Peter J. Holzer" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2000 20:37:44 -0500, Chris Huff wrote:
> I don't think that this is "clearly not feasible". A human has about
> 100,000 hairs on his head. I don't know about furry animals, but 1
> million hairs seems about right to me. If we represent a hair as a
> spline with a thickness, a pointer to the texture (many hairs will share
> the same texture) and a bounding box, that's 24*n+8+4+48 bytes per hair,
> if the spline has n control points. Assuming 5 CP's to be enough for
> curvy hair, that's 180 bytes/hair or 180 MB for 1 million hairs.

180 MB uncompressed (!). Number values only you can compress with a factor
up 20 or higher...what about this idea??

And i've found a homepage with a hair-rendering technique using texels. It's
possible in POV to render texels?
Here the URL:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/adrian.skilling/texels/texels.html  (with C++
code)