POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines: OS WARS Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines: OS WARS
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 8 Dec 2000 00:24:45
Message: <3A307120.2C97CCF6@hal-pc.org>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> > Windows is a major advance in that it has made computers accessible to the
> > masses, I don't see any of the competition having anything like that kind of
> > impact.
>
> Oh, this is bull.
>
> First off, Windows is also a GUI sitting on a command line.

Regardless of statements to the contrary, yes, Windows is still a GUI on top of
DOS. Additionally, in order to maintain backward compatibility, Windows has had
to keep a lot of badly designed legacy code. Windows has picked up a lot of new
baggage, a really incredible amount, in their attempt to be everything to all
people. I must say that I do enjoy programming for Windows using a properly
designed framework (Borland's VCL under C++Builder), but I can't wait for the
Linux version to come around.

> Second, there were plenty of masses using DOS. They didn't need no
> steenkin' Windows.

I have installed the CygWin environment (Unix on Windows) so I can have the nice
Unix-type tools that Windows is lacking. It helps ease the pain ;-)

> And third, if you want to make this kind of argument, you should be
> making it about the platform that brought us a GUI long before anyone
> else did, and that Windows blatantly ripped off. (I think we all know
> which one that is.)

 ... which Apple got from Xerox and improved upon. I've always wondered if Apple
didn't look at Windows when it first came out and remarked the phrase that
Cheech Marin quoted in one of his movies: "Hey, man! Somebody ripped off what I
ripped off!" ;-)   What I like about Apple lately is their close attention to
what the public wants, now. Their new machines are really nice.

I use my Linux box more than I use my Windows box, but I have to say that I
can't recommend it to my less computer literate friends and family, yet. But I
would recommend a Mac to them before I recommended a Windows machine. I just
think that they have really got their act together now, and they know exatcly
where they are going.

Jon

Jon S. Berndt
League City, Texas