POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 7 Dec 2000 09:18:26
Message: <3A2F9CB3.BB31E57D@hal-pc.org>
Ken wrote:

> It is impossible to know exactly what percentage or computer users
> are Windows users but it is estimated that the range is between
> 85-90 percent. This came out in the monopoly lawsuit against Microsoft.

And it is changing daily.

> I accept and respect platform diversity. I will point out though
> that those people who operate on these systems do so with the full
> knowlege that they have inherent limitations that Windows users
> do not suffer from the biggest of which if software diversity and
> support.

THat was the case at one time. It is simply no longer relevant. Windows has a
huge glut of software available (of wildly varying quality). Linux is gaining
the support of industry leaders and commercial giants every day. Right now, I
have no reason to turn on my Windows machine at all, except for the fact that my
wife uses it. As it stands currently, Windows is easier to use for neophytes,
but even that may not be the case very shortly.

> I think you fail to recognize that as a Mac user you are in a niche
> market. The same is true of the nerds and geeks that prefer to use
> linux, unix, and the other handful of alternative OS's available.
> You are not mainsteam nor are you the majority no matter how much
> you would wish it to be otherwise. You may consider yourself an
> elitist, I do not. Enjoy your apple a day but if it keeps the DivX
> away don't come crying on my shoulder.

I thought as you do at one time, Ken. However, I have come to feel that Apple's
engineering is admirable. Steve Jobs has turned them around, and I think Mac is
coming back as a force to be reckoned with. Microsoft will not gain market
share, and will likely not even hold their own in the coming years, with respect
to market share.

This should really be mnoved to "off-topic".

Jon

Jon S. Berndt
League City, Texas
jsb### [at] hal-pcorg