POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Jon S  Berndt
Date: 7 Dec 2000 08:42:29
Message: <3A2F9421.B5774ADC@hal-pc.org>
Ken wrote:

> By using a "Windows only" codec you are in effect catering to
> the 90% of the worlds computer users that operate on a Windows
> platform.

> Why put out inferior material to cater to 10%
> of the worlds computer users who refuse to fit into the main
> stream ?

This is getting very close to being flame bait of the highest degree. If someone
does not use Windows they are "refusing to fit in"??!! Maybe I misunderstand
your point, but I am an engineer; I use the best tool for the task at hand.
Sometimes it's on a Windows box (because the *client* wants it), sometimes it's
not.

In any case, all that my original question was posed for was to determine the
largest size that was permissible to post, and which format gave the best
size/quality.

As far as which platform supports which formats, Windows supports a wide range,
but Linux appears to support a quite sufficient portion of these, as well. Here
is the relevent portion of the man page for xanim (and there are plenty of other
animation players out there for Linux - and I am sure that Mac supports a huge
variety of players, as well):

+  FLI animations.
+  FLC animations.
+  IFF animations. The following features are supported:
   -> Compressions 3,5,7,J(movies) and l(small L).
   -> Color cycling during single images and anims.
+  GIF87a and GIF89a files.
   -> single and multiple images supported.
   -> GIF89a animation extensions supported.
+  GIF89a animation extension support.
+  a kludgy text file listing gifs and what order to show them in.
+  DL animations. Formats 1, 2 and partial 3.
+  Amiga PFX(PageFlipper Plus F/X) animations. TEMP DISABLED
+  Amiga MovieSetter animations(For those Eric Schwartz fans).
+  Utah Raster Toolkit RLE images and anims.
+  AVI Animations Format
   Supported Video Codecs:
   -> IBM Ultimotion     (ULTI) depth 16.
   -> JPEG               (JPEG) depth 24.
   -> Motion JPEG        (MJPG) depth 24.
   -> Intergraph JPEG    (IJPG) depth 24.
   -> Microsoft Video 1  (CRAM) depth 8 and 16.
   -> Radius Cinepak     (CVID) depth 24. (see NOTE 1)
   -> Intel Indeo 3.1    (IV31) depth 24. (see NOTE 2)
   -> Intel Indeo 3.2    (IV32) depth 24. (see NOTE 2)
   -> Intel Raw YUV      (YUV9) depth 24. (see NOTE 2)
   -> Creative CYUV      (CYUV) depth 16. (see NOTE 3)
   -> Uncompressed       (RGB ) depth 4.
   -> Uncompressed       (RGB ) depth 8.
   -> Uncompressed       (RGB ) depth 16.
   -> Uncompressed       (RGB ) depth 24.
   -> Run length encoded (RLE8) depth 8.
   -> Editable MPEG      (XMPG) depth 24.
   Supported Audio Codecs:
   -> PCM 8/16 bits         mono/stereo
   -> uLAW                  mono/stereo
   -> MSADPCM               mono/stereo
   -> Intel DVI(IMA4)       mono/stereo
   -> GSM 6.10              mono
+  Quicktime Animations.
   Supported Video Codecs:
   -> Uncompressed     (RAW ) depth 1,4,8,16,24 and 24+
   -> Uncompressed     (RAW ) Gray depth 1,4 and 8.
   -> Apple Graphics   (RLE ) depth 1,8,16 and 24.
   -> Apple Graphics   (RLE ) GRAY depth 8.
   -> Apple Animation  (SMC ) depth 8 and GRAY 8.
   -> Apple Video      (RPZA) depth 16.
   -> Radius Cinepak   (CVID) depth 24. (see NOTE 1)
   -> Radius Cinepak   (CVID) GRAY   8. (see NOTE 1)
   -> Intel Indeo 3.1  (IV31) depth 24. (see NOTE 2)
   -> Intel Indeo 3.2  (IV32) depth 24. (see NOTE 2)
   -> Intel Raw YUV    (YUV9) depth 24. (see NOTE 2)
   -> Component Video  (YUV2) depth 24.
   -> Photo JPEG       (JPEG) depth 8 and 24.
   -> Kodak Photo CD   (KPCD) depth 24.
   -> Microsoft Video 1  (CRAM) depth 8 and 16.
   Supported Audio Codecs:
   -> Unsigned PCM     (raw)   8/16 bits mono/stereo
   -> Signed PCM       (twos)  8/16 bits mono/stereo
   -> uLAW             (ulaw)            mono/stereo
   -> IMA4             (ima4)            mono/stereo
   -> GSM 6.10         (agsm)            mono
   The following features are supported:
   -> Supports multiple video trak's.
   -> Supports animations with multiple codecs.
   -> Supports merged and separated resource forks.
+  SGI Movie Format Files.
   Supported Video Codecs:
   -> Uncompressed RGB  24 bits
   -> MVC1
   -> MVC2
   -> JPEG
   Supported Audio Codecs:
   -> Unsigned PCM 8/16 mono/stereo
   -> Signed   PCM 8/16 mono/stereo
+  WAV  audio files may have their sound added to any animation type that
doesn't already have audio, by specifying the .wav file after the animation file
on the command line.
   Supported Audio Codecs:
   -> PCM 8/16 bits         mono/stereo
   -> uLAW                  mono/stereo