POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Ken
Date: 7 Dec 2000 01:09:08
Message: <3A2F2A4F.1F362883@pacbell.net>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> > By using a "Windows only" codec you are in effect catering to the
> > 90% of the worlds computer users that operate on a Windows platform.
>
> Hardly, Ken. Windows is not this dominant.

It is impossible to know exactly what percentage or computer users
are Windows users but it is estimated that the range is between
85-90 percent. This came out in the monopoly lawsuit against Microsoft.

> > Why put out inferior material to cater to 10% of the worlds computer
> > users who refuse to fit into the main stream ?
>
> Perhaps because one respects platform diversity, or at least accepts it?

I accept and respect platform diversity. I will point out though
that those people who operate on these systems do so with the full
knowlege that they have inherent limitations that Windows users
do not suffer from the biggest of which if software diversity and
support.

> Perhaps because Windows is a heap of shit which should be discouraged
> rather than enforced?

I will not even dignify this obvious attempt at OS bashing with a rebuttle.

> Ah, well. I suppose I'm speaking to third parties here, since your own
> "if you're not running Windows, you're a moron" position is clear.

I implied nothing about a person's mental capacity based upon the
OS they choose to use. Those are your words not mine.

I think you fail to recognize that as a Mac user you are in a niche
market. The same is true of the nerds and geeks that prefer to use
linux, unix, and the other handful of alternative OS's available.
You are not mainsteam nor are you the majority no matter how much
you would wish it to be otherwise. You may consider yourself an
elitist, I do not. Enjoy your apple a day but if it keeps the DivX
away don't come crying on my shoulder.

--
Ken Tyler