POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 17:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 7 Dec 2000 00:34:05
Message: <3A2F2298.D1D6DFAE@unforgettable.com>
Ken wrote:

> Xplo Eristotle wrote:
>
> > Assuming that the media creator wants his media to be as accessible as
> > practically possible, it's his duty to use a codec that's accessible to
> > practically everybody. Windows and the various APIs, hardware calls,
> > etc. associated with it are NOT standards, regardless of their present
> > market dominance, and therefore a Windows-only codec is no more valid
> > than a Mac-only one, or a Linux-only one, or a Nintendo-only one.
>
> By using a "Windows only" codec you are in effect catering to the
> 90% of the worlds computer users that operate on a Windows platform.

Hardly, Ken. Windows is not this dominant.

> Why put out inferior material to cater to 10% of the worlds computer
> users who refuse to fit into the main stream ?

Perhaps because one respects platform diversity, or at least accepts it?

Perhaps because Windows is a heap of shit which should be discouraged
rather than enforced?

Ah, well. I suppose I'm speaking to third parties here, since your own
"if you're not running Windows, you're a moron" position is clear.

-Xplo