POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : POVMAN and image maps : Re: POVMAN and image maps Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVMAN and image maps
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 6 Dec 2000 02:04:01
Message: <3A2DE564.5198E433@aetec.ee>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Before I start tinkering with the shading language, I was wondering if
> it was possible, in the current implementation of shaders in Pov, to
> create a shader that would take an image_map. One immediate application
> would be to apply this wonderful "skin" shader to a body map on a Poser
> model...
> G.

Current version of POVMan does not support image maps. Shading Language,
as defined by Pixar, has function texture(), which allows to have
texture lookup from image file. I want to add support for this function
in the future, hopefully next year sometimes it will be available (in
order to support filtering (antialiasing) from image maps surface
derivatives should be implemented first).
But one possibility, which comes to my mind, is layered textures: create
one texture, which contains body map and sets base color. Then on top of
it modified skin shader, which calculates highlights only and adds them
to the base color. I haven't tested shaders with multiple textures and
there might be problems lurking around, but I guess that it might work.
If I have time, then I try it today evening...