POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] : Re: And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg]
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 5 Dec 2000 18:45:52
Message: <3A2D7E2D.681409EB@ij.net>
"Bob H." wrote:

> "Matt Giwer" <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote in message news:3A2D1770.61C24939@ij.net...
> > Spock wrote:
> > >
> > > I notice a tendency for folks to model both the earth and the terminator
> > > line as vertical.  While it is an accurate representation twice a year
> > > (spring and fall equinox?) I think it might be more interesting to look at
> > > the earth in mid-summer.  Try tipping the earth's main axis by 23 degrees
> or
> > > so (hope I got that angle right) to illustrate things like why the sun
> > > doesn't set above the arctic circle in the summer.  Just a thought.
> >
> > Well taken.
>
> It would have been :-) were it not for this being the result of aligning (no
> pun intended) the two image maps and two gradient masking textures.  I realize
> you can't see Europe much at all because of this vantage point.  Luckily there
> isn't anything near the South Pole so a view from over the Tropic of Cancer
> demarcation line at 23.5 degrees north of the equator would be better.

	That sounds a bit like what I did in my animation above. I can give
them both a tilt after rotating. I'll give it a try. should work.

	BTW: Mine started as three separate lays for the lit side. I overlayed
then and flattened them. They render much faster that way and nothing is
lost as you still have your original layers.

--
If drugs are as bad as they say there is nothing
the law can do to a user that is worse.