POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Earth at night (17K) : Re: Earth at night (17K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth at night (17K)
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 1 Dec 2000 03:39:06
Message: <3A276363.31C5D92F@u.arizona.edu>
Oh, I probably should say, that although this is a cheat, it's pretty easy to
use.      Just set the vector after slope to be the position of the light
minus the position of the center of the sphere.  If you actually want to do a
realistic job with the lights, you might see if you can write a Megapov macro
that scans over the sphere testing points, then uses eval_pigment (is that
what it's called?) to test if a point corresponds to a light, in which case it
places a small glow there.  You could even use the trace function to see if
the point is shadowed, so you only put lights on the shadowed side.  This
would probably be pretty slow though, and seems like too much effort when
something far simpler does (in my opinion) a pretty good job.