POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Earth at night (17K) : Re: Earth at night (17K) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth at night (17K)
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 30 Nov 2000 16:40:52
Message: <3A26C963.D4144729@ij.net>
"Jon S. Berndt" wrote:

> Matt Giwer wrote:
> >
> >         Thank you good sir, a thousand thank yous. May Allah bless you. That is
> > exactly the image I have been looking for, for a year now.
>
> You are most welcome. It seemed like the kind of picture somebody surely must be
> able to use!
>
> >         And since you post the code. I plan a daylight sphere and a night
> > sphere trivially displaced so that half is dark and half is light. And
> > that being animation material.
>
> I considered this, too, and, given the right daytime earth image, I might
> eventually try it, as well. Post your results when you get something. I'd like
> to see it.
>
> I was trying to think of how it could be most realistically done. Would a
> layered texture work? I don't know.

	When I get to it, just a plain image map. Daylight on one, night on the
other. If I just shift them 0.00001 or so along an imaginary line
connecting noon with midnight and one is mathematically "above" the
other.

> There does exist a daylight version of the nighttime pic I posted the URL for.
> If I can find it I'll post the URL for that, as well.

	I'd love to have the original of that one posted as an image on a
related website.

--
It's not as though Rocker had to say No. 7 train
to know he was talking about New York City.