POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : More on hair : Re: More on hair Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More on hair
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 28 Nov 2000 13:56:27
Message: <3A23FFD8.242D8B2D@ij.net>
"H. E. Day" wrote:

> Pov Programmers!!
> You might want to check out this link:
> http://www.joealter.com/software.htm
> This system is based on z-buffer rendering, but I don't know if it could be
> appiled to Pov.  It does look very versitile.
> Also look at:
> http://www.joealter.com/shave/overview.htm
> Neat, huh?
> I want it!!!! :)

	Someone hit the wrong button and sent email rather than posted. They
may want to post it here.

	A summary of the point made (pardon if not) was the Coca-Cola polar
bear was realistic modeling and massive computation.

	Thinking about that I had a related problem on my truck in IRTC History
and in the Halloween competitions. Lines fell below the POV pixel limit
for the image size. I solved that by rendering a larger size and then
making it smaller in Photoshop. I presume increasing the sampling or
some trick in POV would have accomplished the same objective.

	That may be a route to getting "correctly" modeled hair to look like
hair. It certainly took a lot longer that way.

--
If you render too quickly you may miss some pixels.
	-- The Iron Webmaster, 256